[KACT] Re: AP Audits from Bruce

  • From: "Cline, Brad" <bcline@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kact@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 08:45:24 -0600

We are in the process of doing ours.  Our AP coordinator is working with
us to get some time off to work this out as it is a large amount of work
to plow through.  From a basic standpoint, you have to submit your
syllabus including the content and  lab activities you use in your
course.

I personally am glad to see them doing this and I understand exactly why
they are doing it.  As Kelly already has mentioned, there are people
calling their courses AP which really don't meet the criteria.  This is
an effort to get the courses structured to meet the criteria, so the AP
course is actually an AP course instead of AP in name only.  As we
entered AP, I was worried our district would only support it in name
only as a "selling point" for the district.  This has helped me to get
the real support I need from the administration as they must help me to
meet the requirements.  They are supporting me in producing a double
block of time for the AP Chemistry class, so that I have enough time to
cover all content and cover the 22 recommended labs.

We haven't started our audit process yet, but I've attended a conference
on it and since my wife is the AP coordinator for our district, I have
had some good inside looks at what we are going to have to do.  There
are manuals for helping out with this process and a good deal of info at
AP Central at College Board's website.

        http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/courseaudit

Bradley L Cline

Chemistry I, Chemistry II, Physics Instructor

Goddard High School

2500 S 199th St West

PO Box 189

Goddard, KS  67052-0189