[KACT] Most Difficult Topic

  • From: "Gissel McDonald" <mcdonaldg@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kact@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 09:06:03 -0600

If anyone can provide a flow chart that you use for nomenclature I would
greatly appreciate it.  I have used one before but not had much success with it
so maybe I just need a better one.  I am on nomenclature currently.
Thanks

Gissel McDonald
Chemistry I and II Teacher
Student Council Advisor
Spring Hill High School
913-592-7299 ext 7372

>>> <kact@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 12/5/2006 1:00 AM >>>

Your KACT ListServ settings are in the digest mode, meaning you will receive
one email per day with all postings.

If replying to this digest, please change the subject line to match the
original messages subject line rather than it appearing as the "digest" subject
line.

Replying to this message will send it to the entire group--use individual email
addresses to respond to an individual member.

To unsubscribe, change your settings (change the settings from digest mode) or
to search the archives, visit //www.freelists.org/list/kact

------------------------------------
kact Digest    Mon, 04 Dec 2006    Volume: 02  Issue: 065

In This Issue:
        [KACT] Most difficult topic
        [KACT] Re: Most difficult topic
        [KACT] Re: Most difficult topic
        [KACT] Re: Most difficult topic
        [KACT] Activity idea?

From: "Kelly Deters" <kellymdeters@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [KACT] Most difficult topic
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 07:41:57 -0600

Of all the things you teach in chem., what do you think is the most
difficult topic for students and why?

For me, I think it's nomenclature because there are so many sets of rules!

Kelly

kellymdeters@xxxxxxxxx

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 10:20:46 -0500 (EST)
From: Donna Bogner <dojbo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [KACT] Re: Most difficult topic

After I put the rules into flow-chart form, students had an easier time using
them.

My most difficult topic was atomic structure, because there was so much
"unlearning" that had to take place before they could begin to form more
correct mental images.

Donna Bogner

Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 09:23:39 -0600
From: "London Reif" <lreif@xxxxxxxxxx>

For me, I think stoichiometry.  They have a hard time applying math to =
chemistry (I don't know why), but once I made flow charts of the steps to =
solving the problems, it helped tremendously.  I also made a set of rules =
and flow charts for nomenclature and it helped my kids as well.

>>> "Kelly Deters" <kellymdeters@xxxxxxxxx> 12/4/2006 7:41 AM >>>
Of all the things you teach in chem., what do you think is the most
difficult topic for students and why?

=20

kellymdeters@xxxxxxxxx=20

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 09:28:49 -0600
From: "Rachel Dougherty" <rachel_dougherty@xxxxxxxxxx>

I also use a flowchart for nomenclature, and it helps a lot for the
students who actually practice with it. =20

From: "Kelly Deters" <kellymdeters@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [KACT] Activity idea?
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 11:09:22 -0600

I'm working on the next KACT newsletter-anybody got any great ideas for
activities, resources, etc. or requests for anything you'd like to include?

Kelly

Kellymdeters@xxxxxxxxx

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 13:38:14 -0600
From: "Arnold, Susan" <sarnold@xxxxxxxxxx>

Many students seem to struggle with the limiting factor concept and
problems in Chem I.  In Chem II it seems to be the equilibrium concept,
and factors affecting equilibrium.  Susan
________________________________

Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 14:11:32 -0600
From: Terry Tinich <tinicht@xxxxxxxxxx>

Mine "seem" to get the naming -- until they have to write the formula
from the name

--
Terry J. Tinich
Chemistry/Physics Instructor

------------------------------

End of kact Digest V2 #65

To unsubscribe, change your settings (change the settings from digest mode) or
to search the archives, visit //www.freelists.org/list/kact

***** DISCLAIMER *****
solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If
you have received this email in error please notify the sender immediately and
delete this e-mail from your system.  Please note that any views or opinions
presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent those of USD 230.  No employee or agent is authorized to conclude any
binding agreement on behalf of USD 230 with another party by email without
express written confirmation by the USD 230 Superintendent of Schools.  No
representation is made that this email or any attachments are free of viruses.
Virus scanning is recommended and is the responsibility of the recipient.