[JYO] FAA Says D.C. ADIZ May Be Cancelled...

  • From: FlyboyEd@xxxxxxx
  • To: jyo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 18:45:03 EST

from AvWeb...

Federal officials are considering canceling the air defense identification
zone (ADIZ) over the Washington, D.C., area now that the Department of
Homeland Security has lowered its terrorism threat posture. FAA spokesman
Greg Martin said the agency is meeting with the appropriate federal
departments and it's possible the flight restrictions will be relaxed. On
Feb. 27, the threat level was reduced from "orange," or high risk, to
"yellow," or elevated risk, which has become the standard threat level since
9/11. "I think it was our intention all along that [flight] conditions would
match up with the threat level," said Martin. Before the ADIZ was imposed,
there was a 15-mile no-fly zone centered on the Washington monument. The ADIZ
radiated 30 miles and required transponders and constant communication with
ATC for most aircraft. As soon as the threat level was relaxed, alphabet
groups began lobbying for suspension of the ADIZ. "There was a certain level
of tolerance by the general aviation community when the threat level was
raised to orange," said EAA President Tom Poberezny. "But as the nation moves
back to yellow status, we fully expect the additional restrictions will be
reduced to where they were before." Poberezny said there is some indication
the current threat is actually between yellow and orange and that possible
war with Iraq will soon boost the threat level.