[JA] Re: wrong extension?

  • From: George H Lunt <glunt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 05:39:12 -0700

On Thu, 4 Jul 2002 George J Kamenz <gkamenz@xxxxxxxx> writes:

>I pulled the lines below from something I received recently.  I
>don't think someone was trying to send me a tune and got the
>extension wrong.

> Anyone willing to explain things to me?
..

Hi George, and All,

Found the definition below of a pif file, which appears to be what you
were sent even if the sender tried to disguise it as a wav (sound)
file...  one can only speculate on the motive of the sender, but
certainly viruses use this kind of trick all the time...  or might have
been spam, who knows?

PIF file Last modified: May 23, 1997

Short for Program InFormation file, a type of file that holds information
about how Windows should run a non-Windows application. For example, a
PIF file can contain instructions for executing a DOS application in the
Windows environment. These instructions can include the amount of memory
to use, the path to the executable file, and what type of window to use.
PIF files have a .pif extension.