[JA] Re: to Larry

  • From: Larry Cook <lcook@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 08:30:46 -0500

Hi Frank,

> Do you mean copy the mbox files (juno.inbox.txt, juno.sent.txt, etc.)
> to a "local mail" folder or a folder in the Thunderbird directory?

I meant to a directory.  You first need to find your Thunderbird profile
directory on the hard drive.  Then copy the mbox files to the "Mail"
directory.  The following is from
http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/profile:

-----
Locate your profile folder

Knowing where your profile folder is stored can be useful if, for example, you
want to make a backup of your personal data.

     * On Windows XP/2000, the path is usually
%AppData%\Thunderbird\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\, where xxxxxxxx is a random
string of 8 characters. Just browse to C:\Documents and Settings\[User
Name]\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\ and the rest should be obvious.
     * On Windows 95/98/Me, the path is usually C:\WINDOWS\Application
Data\Mozilla\Thunderbird\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\
     * On Linux, the path is usually ~/.thunderbird/xxxxxxxx.default/
     * On Mac OS X, the path is usually ~/Library/Application
Support/Thunderbird/Profiles/xxxxxxxx.default/

%AppData% is a shorthand for the Application Data path on Windows 2000/XP. To
use it, click Start > Run..., enter %AppData% and press Enter. You will be
taken to the "real" folder, which is normally C:\Documents and Settings\[User
Name]\Application Data.
-----

Personally, I find it easier to just use the Windows Search/Find utility to
location a unique mail folder that I created in Mozilla/Thunderbird.  But
maybe the above will let you find it easily.

Once you've found your "Mail" directory under you profile directory, just copy
  the mbox files to it.  Then restart Thunderbird.  They should automatically
show up.

Larry