[JA] Re: juno_accmail Digest V2 #177

  • From: David Ames <worldrecord@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 21:28:14 EDT

>Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 15:33:33 PDT
>Subject: [JA] Re: Unaccessible Sites
>From: Jèrel DD Arbaugh <computerist@xxxxxxxx>
>
>Gee!  An Accmail question!
>
>}Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 12:11:35 -0400
>}Subject: [JA] Unaccessible Sites
>}From: "Mark F. McClaine"
>}
>}There are some sites that are not accesible through
>}email such as  http://galaxy.einet.net/galaxy  I sent requests
>}for this site and others  thourgh many email servers and
>}I received reply stating:
>}
>}Forbidden
>}
>}   You don't have permission to access /galaxy/ on this server.
>}
>
>       Likely they changed some thing.  That or they are broken!  Try
>dropping the final /galaxy portion?
>--
>| Computerist.

I often encounter such things when using Netscape on my own time in the
office.  If the site owner doesn't want you to have full access to
everything on his site, he'll deny you access to his directory, or access
to certain sub-directories.  Alternately, I believe it should be possible
to give you authorized access through a link -- which can be disabled if
and as the site owner chooses.

David Ames
-----
There was a cow that swallowed a bottle of purple ink and mooed indigo.