[JA] Re: Zonealarm update

  • From: thepccat@xxxxxxxx
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 07:48:30 -0800

Let me add to this. In the past ZoneAlarm was skimpy on the instructions,
and their software had a "gotcha" such that if you did not unload the
driver the uninstall or upgrade would be a real disaster. Also, an
occasional update might have had a problem or so. This software has
matured over the years, and these problems, in my experience, do not
haunt it anymore. So I have allowed auto updates. And come to find they
wanted to update my ver 3 into ver 4, and now the updates are automatic
by design. Yes ZoneAlarm is a great product, one advantage is it is easy
to use without being an expert in ports or whatever.

In addition to what was mentioned, ZoneAlarm also detects if a program
you have not authorized tries to communicate with the outside, even if
you set the protection level to "medium" [needed if you want the outside
world to see your ports for whatever reason]. So you can prevent spyware,
trojans, etc. from communicating [and locate them for elimination if
desired].

A firewall is not strictly needed for many users. However, if your
computer is powerful enough so the firewall does not load it down [I have
a Win 98 Celeron 433 with 256MB RAM, though I imagine it would work fine
with 65MB], it certainly cannot hurt to have a good one operating, and it
may save your bacon someday.

thepccat