[JA] Writing in an Offline Browser

  • From: jim.henderson@xxxxxxxx
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 13:15:30 -0400

> Subject: [JA] Re: Writing in an Offline Browser
> From: George H Lunt <glunt@xxxxxxxx>

>JH > Strange that Juno wanted to give up its offline mailer
>> and use a browser for that job in Version 5.

GHL> Not sure what you're referring to here...  seems to me the
> browser is "additional" and doesn't replace anything as far as
> their mail service is concerned.

Right, George.  IE and the Microsoft HTML engine are so intimately
associated that I forgot the distinction.  Apparently in Juno 5, the MS
HTML engine, not the MS browser, is what takes over the display functions
and certain of the editing functions of the old Juno 4 offline mailer.
Thank you for reminding me of the distinction.  Almost always if we have
one we have the other, but the distinction may sometimes be relevant.

I haven't tried installing Juno 5 in a Win95A machine that lacks a
browser, but I doubt it will work unless it installs MSIE in order to get
the HTML engine.  Windows 98 and later include the engine, which as far
as I know cannot be removed without crippling the OS.  For example,
Windows Help files in these versions are in HTML format.  These Win
versions also include the
MS browser, which can be removed without removing the MS HTML engine,
though it is somewhat difficult and few bother to do it or even know it
can be done.

>JH> I opened MSIE by its own icon and changed from
>> "Dial whenever an Internet connection is not present"  to  "Never."

> I don't think your assumption about IE being used as an offline
> mail writer is correct, but rather as a tool to call for a connection
> to the Internet.  It wouldn't have been IE that was begging for the
> connection, but rather another program such as Outlook Express
> set to check mail every couple of minutes for example.

Good theory, but as it turned out, the DUN window didn't wait a minute or
a whole second and, though Outlook Express is installed in this machine,
I didn't start it, and its option is not what was set to call
automatically.  Instead it was an option in IE.  How this IE option came
to be set this way, I don't know.  Perhaps that's the Win98 4.10.98
default, or perhaps Juno or some other program set it, but once I changed
it in IE, IE was no longer begging to connect.

GHL> One of the major drawbacks to the tie between Juno and IE,
> is that when you change these options in one of the programs,
> you change it in the other as well. You can't have one font in IE,
> and another in Juno, for instance.

Yes.  This is a minor irritation in Juno 5.  I like larger letters for
writing than for reading, and smaller letters for Web reading than for
message reading.  I also like headers in letters small enough to allow
whole names and dates rather than 8/24/.. or other abbreviations.  I like
messages in letters as big as the headers.  Juno 4 catered more neatly to
these preferences.  On the other hand, the new mixed font, mixed size
writing features can also be pleasant, when writing to people who are
equipped to read those messages properly.

GHL> Don't forget that IE 5 has been out for over a year and gone through

> 9 different builds - SO FAR.  So yes, it's actually quite a different
> horse from v4, its predecessor, in a lot of ways.

I haven't explored IE so much.   I mean, IE is just a browser, not
something that I care to master as I master a program for writing.  My IE
5 is ver 5.00.3314.210115 from 1999, even older than you indicate.  But I
guess now that it is more intimately connected with writing, I must study
the browser more deeply.

> Subject: [JA] Re: Browsers fit for W95
> From: thepccat@xxxxxxxx

Meow> Browsers are to access the Internet. As I recall, in order to use
> Juno 4 or 5, you have to have IE 5 (or 4?) onboard.

Yes, browsers were made to access the Web, but nowadays they are
sometimes given other jobs as well.  With Juno 4, it depends on what
you're using Juno for.  Just for mail, you don't need a browser.  With
Juno 5, I think you are correct, even just for mail, except perhaps for
the very rare case when you have the MS HTML engine and not the MS
browser.

OR visit http://freelists.dhs.org