[JA] Writing in an Offline Browser

  • From: jim.henderson@xxxxxxxx
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 01:40:06 -0400

A copy of something I sent on the 18th that never arrived in the Digest:

Strange that Juno wanted to give up its offline mailer and use a browser
for that job in Version 5.

> Subject: [JA] Re: Juno 5 "Dial-up Connection"
> From: George H Lunt <glunt@xxxxxxxx>

>JH >I think this is DUN, but why

GHL>Juno browser is basically a "Mask" over Internet Explorer
> and it's probably modified a feature in IE during installation.
> Open IE and select *Tools, Internet Options, Connections*
> and double check the radio buttons about mid-window.
> They range from "Never..." to "Always..." dial a connection.

Right, George, and thanks.  I opened MSIE by its own icon and changed
from "Dial whenever an Internet connection is not present"  to  "Never."
 Funny that these options don't show up when using Juno to write mail,
since there is no "Tools" menu.

Oh.  Click Options, Web Preferences, Internet Options.  The menu is
misleading, because Web isn't the question but Internet Explorer is.  IE
was designed as a Web browser but is being used as an offline mail writer
as well.  So IE was begging to be allowed to connect, when I only wanted
to read and write mail offline.  Perhaps Juno one day will fix the
installer so the browser will only want to go online when it's being used
to browse.

There are other consequences.  Above the text window there's a row of
icons similar to MS-Word which provide a quick BOLD option and a font
selector similar to that in Juno 4.  The old Options menu, on the other
hand, now goes down four levels to a different font selector with more
variety but only five choices of non-numeric size.  This is what I used
to change my default font to Antigoni which is a sans serif font with
four different weights. Times New Roman is too busy on the screen (on
paper it is pleasant) and doesn't let me choose a weight between too bold
and too light.  Now the From and Subject headers are too large for my
taste, but I'll futz around and see whether there's a way to fix that.

As with any revised version, Juno 5 has new features to explore, and old
ones that work differently.  At least the spellchecker has ceased to
assume that every hyphenated word is wrong.  It was also popping up at
"send mail" time, but I did something that made it stop doing that.
What, I'm not sure.

Thank you, George, from Jim on a $24 island off the coast of New Jersey.

OR visit http://freelists.dhs.org