[JA] Re: Why send "safe" messages to yourself?

  • From: bvcb@xxxxxxxx
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 10:46:35 -0700

On  Mon, 22 Jul 2002 21:56:46 -0500, Robert M. Cosby said:

>I fail to see how this could protect against getting viruses.  I
understand you cannot get a virus from opening a plain text message such
as we receive through Juno, and we cannot avoid opening any Juno messages
anyway, since opening them is required to delete them (unless handled
only by the J5 Mail Assistants).

Ah...but you CAN delete messages without opening them in Juno!

Assume that you have a "safe" message (of any kind) at the top of your
list of newly downloaded messages.  It is highlighted and, of course,
opened automatically.

Now, hold down the CTRL key, and while keeping it held down, use the
arrow at the bottom of bar at the side of the message listing window to
go down the list of incoming messages (all of which will be in boldface
type, because they have not yet been opened,) and click on those that you
can ID as spam, or which come from unknown sources.

Clicking on a message while holding down the CTRL key WILL NOT OPEN
THEM...it will merely highlight them.  (The CTRL key also allows you to
skip messages you want to read.) ONLY THE FIRST MESSAGE WILL BE OPNED.
When you have finished, click on the DELETE button to remove all the
highlighted
messages.

NOTE:  These messages will be put in the Juno "DELETED" folder, and will
not be completely deleted until you exit the program.  However, they will
not have been opened, and therefore cannot infect your computer.

>If we do not open attachments, which can and do contain viruses, or if
we
>save attachments to the desktop and scan them with an up-to-date
>antivirus program before opening, my understanding is we are safe.  Is
>this not correct?

Unfortunately, HTML messages can carry worms/viri.  I got a virus late
last year from merely reading a spam message, which had no attachment.
It inserted a suspect URL into Internet Explorer, so that upon opening
IE, I would be taken to that site, etc.

That's when I learned about the "safe" message to self routine and
started using it.  I haven't read a spam message since.