[JA] Re: What's this in the Subject Line

  • From: James E Henderson <jim.henderson@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 21:43:06 -0500

I'm sending a copy direct, in case JA is delayed.  If you reply to the
copy, remember to send a copy to juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx so others can
see it.

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 09:14:05 -0800 babette bloch <bvcb@xxxxxxxx> writes:

GL> Note that some mail programs such as Outlook Express automatically
> decode Subject lines entered in this manner and instead of seeing...
> ?iso-8859-1?b?UxmI9met-and-so-on...  you'll see "Re:Get discounted
> Vi*gra..." or whatever.

BB>  However, how come such a line appeared in a
> perfectly OK message from a friend, with his regular
> subject line in the middle of the coded stuff?

Depending on what mailer version he's using, probably he used a special
character not included in ASCII but included in iso-8859-1 coding.  One
accented vowel or other character can force the whole subject line to be
encoded with the later coding.

ASCII, incidentally, is identical to iso-8859-1 for most characters, so a
program intended to read ASCII will be able to see many characters
correctly.