[JA] Re: Re Juno5bdb v0.5

  • From: geoffrey l wilson <glw4-accmail@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 13:04:07 -0500

I had downloaded the program last summer, but didn't get around to using
it until two days ago.  I have now moved the two accounts for which I had
been using Juno 5 back into Juno 5, where they originated.

See below for the datials.

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 11:40:49 -0700 "George Lunt" <glunt@xxxxxxxx> writes:
>On Sun, Jun 29, 2003 Babette C Bloch asked some questions:
>
>> WHERE is the ToolBox from which we can get this version of Juno?
>
>Hi Babette, and All,
>
>Not Toolbox, but Tools Page...  http://www.junoaccmail.org/tools.htm
>And it's not a "Juno" version, it's a Helper program Larry Cook wrote to
>extract and convert your folders & messages from Juno v5.  Juno v5 has
>no "Export Folder" feature as v4 and older versions do.  So this
>program is only for Juno v5 users.  But if you're a Juno v5 user who
wants to
>archive your mail, this program is just the ticket.  Or if you're
>wanting to move on from Juno v5 to a different e-mail client, such as
>Eudora, Outlook Express, Outlook, Netscape's Messenger, etc....  this
>program is what you're looking for.

In the .zip package I found only juno5bdb.bat, not the other four special
bat files referred to in the README file.   I therefore used the the DOS
instructions to extract a sent of micely lableed frm files in a temporary
directory.   However, there were no instructions on what to do with them
to get them into Juno 4.

What I did was to open the corresponding account in my Juno 4 package and
then close it again without downloading anything.  Then I identified the
USER000n sub-directory (folder), and under a text editor (EdiPad Lite) I
opened and edited the new director.frm  file to insert foldnnnn  entries
for all  the named mailboxes.  I then copied the frm files from the
temporary sub-directory into the the USER000n directory, renaming them
with the folder numbers as I went.  I intended to copy the addrbook.nv
files from the Juno5 package to the Juno4 one, but sadly for one of the
tweo i got it wrong.  Sadly I haad deleted the account in Juno 5 before I
discoverd this, so lost the infornmation (I do have an old backup).  [I
used thhe DOS based program File Commander for this - it's like Norton
Commander  but handles long file names).

The reason I prefer Juno 4 is that I can manipulate folders under DOS.
If I accumulate too many messages in my In mailbox and haven't
immediately time to read them I use Juno 4 to move the last one into a
temporary mail box.  Then under DOS I can iknterchange that temporary
mailbox with the In box, and thereby get a fresh start all in one woo. I
do this here in Juno 1.49 adn in other accounts under Juno 4.11.