[JA] Re: NewDotNet and Webhancer

  • From: thepccat@xxxxxxxx
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 16:10:04 -0700

From what Langa has written these programs should show up in your
Start>Settings>Control Panel>Add/Remove program list. Otherwise one could
download and install AdAware from www.lavasoftUSA.com . This program
scours your registry and disk looking for what it thinks are spyware
entries [and of course it will not see stuff it has not been programmed
to look for]. Since it cannot keep up with the latest stuff, for example
with this NewDotNow, allowing it to remove a given item may not be the
best policy. For NewDotNow the recommendation is to use
Start>Settings>Control Panel>Add/Remove program.

I also think that what was said is that these programs are bundled in
some *distributions* [downloads, CD-ROM's, etc.] for Juno, etc. software.
You and I installed Juno quite a while ago and it did not have these
add-ons then.

On the other hand, RealAudio had such things for awhile, but now, if you
read carefully, you can install without getting RealDownload [which can
"phone home"], or, installing RealDownload, one can set it so it does not
"phone home," though it continues to serve ads.

When companies don't let you know they are feeding you spyware, that is
no good. As I recall, real.com deleted some spyware and clarified the
operation of others, primarily due to massive bad press and complaints
from users. If Juno et al are doing this, we need to protest.

Hope that helps,
thepccat

OR visit http://freelists.dhs.org