[JA] Re: May need to upgrade from Win 3.1

  • From: rsgilmore@xxxxxxxx
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 22:30:55 -0400

Grammatical proprieties aside, I'll toss in some additional
considerations for ya' - - I'm sure the humor won't be lost on most of
the list..!

*  The previous 'puter here was a P-133, built from pieces/parts  --
8-meg RAM, 200-meg HD, which, with DOS 5.0 and Win3.1, was pretty much of
a screamer (well, compared to the old 486-25... ha !)

Got a hankering one day to add a 1.6gig HD... Western Digital provided a
very good install disk and booklet that explained technical issues of
BIOS and block sizes and the like...  I give 'em high marks.

I partitioned that drive into 200-meg chunks of C:\ -thru- L:\ ( yeah,
ten ! ),  which, for "housekeeping" purposes suited the circumstances
very well  --  Loaded up Win3.1 as dual-boot on D:\, and it played like a
champ.   Even ran AOL 3.x at 28.8 without a whimper.  Great machine.

Then I bought W95.
It *refused* to even install without 16-meg of RAM.

 I added 16 (24 total).  It loaded, but to say it "ran" would be
generous.  It sucked.  Even allowing a whole 200-meg partition for
Virtual Memory didn't help much.
At 32-meg, it was *not so bad*, but I believe the old 8088 PC was faster!

Moral of the story:  I wouldn't even THINK of trying to run W95 on the
P-60.

Make friends with a small computer store -- NOT the Big-Box guys.   Ask a
lot of damn-fool questions (they LOVE to chat)  -- maybe spend a few
bucks...
Look for a cheap (auction or trade-in) P-200 or better MoBo/carcass,
maybe with a 1-gig HD that has W95 already loaded -- buy as much RAM as
you can afford, and transplant your other components as needed.

READ everything you can get your hands on.   Knowledge is everything in
this game -- you can learn it yourself, or pay somebody else who does..
;-)

Good Luck.

R Scott Gilmore  N8BQN   Saginaw   MI  USA
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote! - Ben Franklin -1759

On Sat, 04 Aug 2001 05:37:02 EDT David Ames <worldrecord@xxxxxxxx>
writes:

> So my question is  this:  how do I determine the compatibility of
available hard drives with my Pentium-60?  I believe I have something
like 60MB.  I wouldn't want to buy a 20GB drive and find out that it's
not compatible.>>

OR visit http://freelists.dhs.org