[JA] Lightning! Was: Re: Freelists is back

  • From: J�rel DD Arbaugh <computerist@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, no-tag-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 17:46:44 PDT

}Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 22:55:23 -0400
}Subject: [JA] Re: Freelists is back
}From: Billy Wong

}   And is this with or without a surge protector?  I can relate to this
}as my previous 56k modem got killed the same way - when I
absent-mindedly
}shut off my surge protector at that time.  :-(  (I cannot definitely
}prove that the storm was the reason the modem died, but I can't think of
}any other cause because the modem worked perfectly prior to the storm.)
}Since that awful experience, I bought a new SP that has telephone line
}protection included and have kept the SP switched on at all times.

        Ouch!  But the phone-line portion of a surge protector has
NOTHING to do with the setting of the power switch.  Switching the
protector off should help protect the computer power supply.  Or better
still, disconnecting the computer power and phone from the wall, are the
only guaranteed almost safe protection.

        One key point about almost all currently used protection:  It
wares out!  To be exact, every "hit" that activates the protection,
weakens it against the next hit!  There are some relatively expensive
units available, that will tell you when they have been fried.

        None of the protectors are much good without a good "ground"
connection.  The third wire on power plugs is not always as good as it
should be.  In an area with lightning problems, (most areas to some
degree) it should be checked that the power panel has a good ground, like
to a water (never gas!) pipeline.  However, watch out for plastic water
pipes, they do not work!  I have read about some horror stories from
these replacing the main water line, but all under ground only, so it was
not noticed.

        Nothing, listed here or elsewhere, will protect against a direct
strike!  Fortunately, these are rare.
--
| Computerist.    This user is located in California.  It is a violation
of California law to send unsolicited commercial mail to this user.
---