[JA] Re: Free Juno account

  • From: James E Henderson <jim.henderson@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 20:58:10 -0500

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 15:35:33 -0800 thepccat@xxxxxxxx writes:

> I could recommend they go to the Junoaccmail.org Web
> http://www.junoaccmail.org/download.htm
> ... and you'll find the link about halfway down the page
> and download v4.0.11.

I like that best, though it's no longer officially supported.  Not that
it makes a difference; we free riders get no support anyway but our old
software will keep working until, one of these years, a software upgrade
at the server end or a change in company policy or the disappearance of
the company makes it stop working.

> Is there any way one could sign up via Internet/Juno website?
> That way, he could later choose from version 4, 5, or 6?

Last time I clicked on http://www.juno.com it led to a download page
which offered versions 5 and 6 only.  They are too big for a floppy.  I
downloaded version 5 to a Zip disk at the library, brought it home,
installed it and decided I didn't like it.

> Also, am I right that only versions 4 and 5 have the separate dialup
> provision for email--6 requires Internet connection?

Right, approximately.  Juno 6 can work with MS Outlook Express, Netscape
Mail, Pegasus, Eudora or other standard POP3 offline mailers, so you
don't have to use your limited free online time while reading and
writing.  Some people think these standard mailers are better than Juno's
proprietary one.  Not I, but some do.  They also think the standard ones
will keep working longer.  They are probably right about that.