[JA] Blast from the Past

  • From: jim.henderson@xxxxxxxx
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 07:56:09 -0400

On Sun, 12 Aug 2001 20:02:21 -0500 (EST) FreeLists Mailing List Manager
<listar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> juno_accmail Digest        Sat, 11 Aug 2001        Volume: 02  Issue:
180

Notice this message has two different dates on it, more than twenty hours
apart.   I did not receive it on my Midnight Sunday run, but did get it
at 6:30 AM Monday.  One could speculate that Juno delayed the message by
at least four or as many as thirty hours.  However, if the author of last
month's  "Report on Spyware"  hoax says this is Juno's policy for free
riders like me, I wouldn't trust him.  Much more likely this Digest was
made with wrong dates on it, or sent hours after it was composed, or sent
from a server that fell behind on its transmissions and had to work off a
backlog, or more than one of the above.  Many messages suffer these or
other delays or problems.

> }Occasionally, I get emails that are a YEAR old.  Luckily, these
>} are not critical messages.

JDDA>         Most mail with dates that old, that I see, is SPAM that the
> sender never updated the date on!  Others tend to be people like me
> that mis-set their clock.  Proper examination of the "Received: "
> headers can tell all!

That's the way.  Spammers can get thrice the use out of the same message.
 Put today's date on one copy, last year's on another, and next week's on
a third.  Then it falls into three different places in the Inbox,
including top and bottom.  Thrice as cost effective, right?  Exactly the
kind of idiotic reasoning we should expect from spammers.

On the other hand millions of consumer PeeCees are probably inadvertently
set for the wrong date, time and/or time zone.  If we check our mail a
few times a day and get a message more than a day old from people we care
about, we should ask them whether they know how to set their computer's
date, time and time zone.  Perhaps we should examine the headers first,
if we have the patience.

The last thing we should expect  is that a cheapskate free E-mail company
will deliberately pay for storage capacity to delay millions of messages
for days or months.  Or that a hoaxer will become a reliable source of
information about company policy.

OR visit http://freelists.dhs.org