[juneau-lug] Re: remote display

  • From: "James Zuelow" <jamesz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 10:42:50 -0900

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phil Witt" <phillipw@xxxxxxx>
To: <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2001 9:49 AM
Subject: [juneau-lug] remote display

> I may not word this question right so allow for some slack.
>
> How does one go about getting into a linux box xwindows display from
> another box?
> In the past I've used VNC but I've seen people talk about just jumping
> right into the native display instead of using a different program.
>
> -Phil

If you have an X server running on the box you're physically sitting at, and
all you need is to see a single application, then ssh is the quick and easy
solution.

I normally use ssh with X forwarding turned on.  I don't think it's exactly
what you're talking about though - I can ssh into a box and start up an X
application (Netscape, Freeciv, whatever).  The X window for that
application is forwarded to my box and displayed using my X server.  But I
don't see the other machine's desktop, and I think that's what you're
asking.

You can set up a single X server to serve desktops to a LAN, but I've never
done that. Maybe Tony can help out here, I believe he's done this in a
production environment.

---
Outgoing mail is scanned with AVG 6 www.grisoft.com

Tracking #: A5AC30B13994F548A38B14714F7094D35DF8FA92