[juneau-lug] home server

  • From: Jamie <jamie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2013 14:21:23 -0800

So it's probably about time to re-build my home server which is still
running Fedora 9.  There is a fair amount of stuff on this old 386:

Web - Apache 2
Mail - Postfix / Dovecot / Mailman / Spam Assassin
Database - MySQL
File Server - Samba / NFS
& lots of utils and other stuff
don't use it as a media server

My first instinct was to stay with Fedora.  Downloaded 19 but the live
boot never finished.  I know I should have ditched the GUI, but the
frequent releases and preferential drift toward the desktop made me
think I should broaden my search.

So I'm looking at CentOS and Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and ???  So what have you
used?  And what do you like about it?

-Jamie

PS I still haven't found a good replacement for Quanta Plus (web
development).  Nothing so far has anything close to the same features.