[jsonar] some of my thoughts about JSonar

  • From: Pradip Chandra Sikdar <pradip.sikdar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jsonar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 13:07:50 +0530

Dear JSonar developer,
Here are some of my thoughts about JSonar to improve its usability. If you consider them useful, you may implement them in JSonar if possible.

1. in the event list view, suppose I am in the data column, if I want to play a single event, I will have to press Control+Shift+Spacebar. But in that time, 3 things will happen. First jaws will speak "Control plus Shift plus Space". Then, jaws will tell the event name or value such as C#. In the same time we will hear the particular note is playing. I don't want to hear "Control plus Shift plus Space" each time I press that hotkey. I only want to hear the event name or value and want to listen the note! So, if you please do something so that, jaws will not say "Control plus Shift plus Space" if it is pressed in the event list view, I think, it will be very helpful.

2. in the event list view, if I don't have any midi keyboard connected to my PC and I want to insert a new event then, the hotkey for inserting a new event is "Insert Key". But as Insert Key is our Jaws Key by default then, I will have to press Insert+3 to pass through the next key and then, I will have to press Insert Key to insert a new event. I have heard a podcast of CakeTalking. There, they have a Hotkey which is Control+I to insert a new event. Therefore, they don't need to press a bunch of key to insert a new event. I want the same feature in JSonar and I think, it is not a hard work to implement this in JSonar.

3. In Step Sequencer View, if I want to Insert a new row above the selected row, I need to press the same key which is "Insert Key".
So, the same suggestion is applied in the step sequencer view also.

4. The above suggestion is also applied in tempo view to insert a new tempo.

5. Several times, I need to toggle metronome in playback. I can do this in several ways. I can press Alt+O to bring out the option dialogue and then, press P to activate to project option. After press control+tab to go to the metronome page and press Alt+P to toggle the playback state of the metronome. Otherwise I can press Control+Shift+F1 to display the JSonar utilities menu, and hit enter on toggle metronome option and I will get the available option from there. Does it possible to put some Hotkey to do the same task? for example, Alt+Shift+P to toggle the playback state of the metronome, press it twice to activate the audio metronome, and press it thrice to activate the midi metronome.

These are some of my thoughts. Dear listers, what do you think?

Thanks for reading my e-mail!

--
Regards Pradip Chandra Sikdar
Keyboard player and Sound Editor of X-RaF <http://www.x-raf.com> (Experimental Raga and Folk)