[jhb] Re: Gen-X AIO?

  • From: "Paul" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 14:23:11 -0000

Frank F. is right there is a benefit when moving between Gen-X areas. As FSX
caches the areas you fly in and out of then this only needs to be done once
when you enter the AIO area rather than read ahead and caching on the fly as
you transition areas.  It's also worth putting the AIO on a seperate drive
to that used by the system to speed up read/write issues as the scenery is
read to and from the cache.

This can be particularly acute when online, where in some areas you are
nearing the borders of ATC controlled areas and switching between weather
centres.  I 've witnessed this a few times around the Manchester area for
example. An AIO would certainly help here in that you are removing the need
to read ahead scenery from the Gen-X North / Central and Wales areas
(depending on direction of travel) as this will already be cached.

On the down side, any changes to your Gen-X configuration may be applied to
the original folders and therefore need transferring to the AIO and another
defrag.  Then there's longer loading times because of the the larger scenery
area being cached!

Paul