[jhb] Farmstrips Campaign

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 07:30:24 +0100

The first three assigned strips, with notes from Lockyears, are:

Alcester Airfield  (N52 13 78  W01 52 63)
=================
One of my favourites, with the opportunity to put in some surrounding buildings. The field is located 4 miles S of Redditch and 1/2 mile N of Alcester. It lies between the A435 and the river Arrow. Nearest alternate is Long Marston. The runways are grass, 36 and 18 and are 960 x 19 metres, so an easy one with which to start. A road crosses the strip, half way along, going into the small industrial estate on the Eastern side, the hangar is S of the road crossing on the E side. If landing from the N, land short, below the cables, or long, until passed the road. From the S, land short over the Southern boundary hedge and stop before the paddock, or long, after the road. Traffic is stopped during landing.

CIRCUITS & NOISE.
At pilots' discretion but avoid overflying Alcester.

WINDSOCK
Half way down strip, to S of runway.

Bowldown  (N51 37 31  W02 14 61)
========
Located 8 miles S of Stroud and 12 miles SW of Cirencester. It's just West of the restricted zone R105/2 and to the East of the A6, which runs North South. Nearest alternate is Kemble. The runways, grass, are 09 / 27 (750 x 15 metres) and 225 / 45 (550 x 15 metres).

CIRCUITS & NOISE
Avoid all local farms and houses.

WINDSOCK
At rwy intersection.

Wing Farm Strip  (N51 09 74  W02 12 65)
Located 1 mile S of Shear Water Lake and 3 1/2 miles SSW of Warminster. Look for aluminium roofed building and row of poplar trees. Nearest alternate is Compton Abbas. The grass runway is 09 / 27 (500 x 13 metres), which slopes upwards 30', to the West. Power lines located 500 metres off the West end.

CIRCUITS  noise
500 feet and don't fly directly over houses, except the bungalow by 27 threshold

WINDSOCK
Close to the South side hedge, at the 09 threshold.

I've mentioned Windsock locations because the white pole is easy to pick out and my description of location gives you a clue as to where the landing strip is.

The whole project is intended to be "freestyle" but I have nominated Shobdon as an initial starting point, just to avoid a vacuum and so that everyone has to arrive at the three. After that it's up to the individual whether to stay at the strip he's arrived at, then start from there for the next one. Some may prefer to explore them all from a home base. The only poser I have before setting subsequent targets is whether to aim for clusters about an hour's flight from the previous three, or just select grooups of three at random. Which do you prefer?