Re: to delete or not the prefetch files in xp os

  • From: "Steve" <k8sp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 17:12:30 -0400

Moti,

Windows Prefetch allows apps to load quicker by anticipating your needs.  It
does this by looking at which applications load when you start.  I've also
seen recommendations to delete the prefetch file, but I've also seen comments
that this will significantly lengthen start-up and application load times.
You can try it and even if it does, you can delete the batch file and after
eight restarts, Windows will re-establish your application pattern.

Here are the instructions to automatically delete the prefetch files when you
shut down.

In reading the other tweaks for "automatically" deleting the prefetch files
(which, by the way, decreases your startup time drastically) and finding out
that they were NOT AUTOMATIC at all, I was forced to find a truly automatic
way to delete these files.  The other tweaks weren't automatic because you
had to run a file every time you wanted to do this.  Also, running it once
won't help because every time you run an app on your computer, it puts more
files into the prefetch folder, so we needed something to delete the files
when shutting down or restarting.  Well, here it is:

1.  create a new text file in the C:\  directory

2.  type "del c:\windows\prefetch\*.* /q" (without he quotes)

3.  save the file as "prefetch.bat"

4.  From the Start menu, select "Run:

5.  Type in "gpedit.msc"

6.  In the window that appears, under the "computer configuration" heading,
expand "windows settings"

7.  under "windows settings", select "Scripts (Startup/Shutdown)"

8.  double click "shutdown" from the right window

9.  click "add"

10.  click browse and locate your "prefetch.bat" file

11.  click "open"

12.  click "OK"

13.  click apply or OK to finalize this process.

Now you are done.  every time you shut down or restart your computer, it will
run your shutdown script to delete the prefetch files.

Reprint from: tweakxp.com

hth,
Steve
Lansing, MI