Re: partitions

  • From: "Sean McMahon" <smcmahon@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 16:07:03 -0700

Under help menu, read about diskpart.  This will split your computer into
several partitions provided you've space to do so.For multi-user systems,
splitting into partitions allows something to be stopped before gobbling up the
whole space.  If you have a system with more than one harddrive, this is the
best kind of partitioning scheme to have, though one disk will allow you to do
such a thing.  How to partition depends on personal choice, obviously you don't
want to make a frequently used partition which frequently grows to small.  A
common partition setup has one for windows and jaws, one for windows software
you feel is less stable or which you can quickly wipeout and replace if
necessary, and one partition for swap or virtual memory.  Virtual memory is
space on a harddrive that operating systems use to move things along when the
ram is all used.In this 3 partition setup, your windows and jaws partition might
include everything under the windows directory, your user profiles and specific
settings under the documentsand settings folder, your jaws folders under c:\jaws
or the freedomscientific directory under program files\freedomscientific.  Your
virtual memory partition might be equal to the amount of ram or double the ram
of your computer, I don't know what MS recommends for swap space.  Everything
else can go into a third partition.  You can have as many or few as you like.
I'd look on the MS website to see what all the confusing terms in the diskpart
help mean because they aren't explained there.
hth