RE: new computer for the blind

  • From: "Cy" <cselfridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 12:44:35 -0500

My only comment is how much?
The Ancient One...
-----Original Message-----
From: jfw-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:jfw-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of david poehlman
Sent: Sunday, May 09, 2004 10:09 AM
To: jfw users email list
Subject: Fw: new computer for the blind

I hear that this will have jaws on it if you want jaws on it.  I'm about
cautious about recommending it just yet though.

*********** BEGIN FORWARDED MESSAGE  ***********
On 8/05/2004 at 10:20 PM Andy Baracco <wq6r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: I
would like to take a moment to introduce you to the Portico which will
be the most advanced and portable PC dedicated to the blind. In addition
to Portico's portability (less then one pound with the standard battery)
and functionality, it will offer a computer to the blind which will be
equal to the desktop system one uses each day and more powerful than a
notetaker or PDA. Because it utilizes a standard Windows operating
system (XP), the training of a new user should be dramatically reduced
which leads to savings on funds for everyone involved because we are
using applications that they are already familiar with. With the
Portico, there is no need to learn or be trained how to use an entirely
new device as one would need to do with a notetaker or PDA.

The computer is driven by an Intel Pentium Centrino processor which is
completed with hardware manufactured by Asus. Built into the unit is
Bluetooth and Wi-Fi wireless technology, as you will see in the
information provided, and all the ports (three USB and Firewire) that
are needed to use it with any accessory available to any computer user.
Right now, with great success, we are testing devices such as Bluetooth
bar code scanners, wireless keyboards and earphones so that the user can
leave the Portico in its case while traveling, in order to utilize such
devices for ease of use and increased usefulness. Due to full
functionality of this unit, organizations thus far have been very
impressed and see this as a single solution for some clientele who
require funding for a note-taking device, desktop PC and/or a laptop
computer. Also installed on the unit will be a suite of powerful
software, consisting of OEM versions from leaders in the assistive
software technology industry, which consist of applications such as
scan-read, text to audio, screen readers, talking word processor,
talking dictionary, web browser with speech, talking calculator, screen
magnification, and talking checkbook. We are looking to add more and
more in the future. We soon also expect to offer an USB-connected,
braille input keypad. Further down the road, we anticipate offering a
braille display integrated into the unit. Our main vision is to use the
existing technologies of our mainstream products to create more
affordable assistive technology products.

The Portico units, as they would be shipped to the customers, will ship
with a screen that can be attached later converting it to a standard
laptop computer. For those who are a source of funding for such
technologies, this will be appealing because it may be issued without
the screen to a blind client but, should the department decide to
reissue this unit to a low-vision client, or another client who would
need a screen, it can be done for little or no cost and without
affecting the manufacturer warranty (the Portico does have a video port
which would allow a monitor to be connected). These are just a few
things that would immediately be available for the Portico. We would
appreciate any information possible in order to have your organization
review the product in hopes that it may be included with the products
which you promote, endorse, or offer to your clients, helping us
introduce this new solution to the blind and low-vision markets. It is a
device to further enhance lives and  independence by offering a means of
equal access to technologies that others already have available to them.
Please let me know if you have any questions as more will be heard about
this product in the coming weeks. Thank you for your time.

Andrew Woytowich
CompSolution - Accessibility Division
(an Asus partner)

1249 Mall Drive