Fw: new computer for the blind

  • From: "david poehlman" <poehlman1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "jfw users email list" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 11:08:57 -0400

I hear that this will have jaws on it if you want jaws on it.  I'm about
cautious about recommending it just yet though.

*********** BEGIN FORWARDED MESSAGE  ***********
On 8/05/2004 at 10:20 PM Andy Baracco <wq6r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I would like to take a moment to introduce you to the Portico which
will
be the most advanced and portable PC dedicated to the blind. In
addition to
Portico's portability (less then one pound with the standard battery)
and
functionality, it will offer a computer to the blind which will be
equal to
the desktop system one uses each day and more powerful than a notetaker
or
PDA. Because it utilizes a standard Windows operating system (XP), the
training of a new user should be dramatically reduced which leads to
savings on funds for everyone involved because we are using
applications
that they are already familiar with. With the Portico, there is no need
learn or be trained how to use an entirely new device as one would need
do with a notetaker or PDA.

The computer is driven by an Intel Pentium Centrino processor which is
completed with hardware manufactured by Asus. Built into the unit is
Bluetooth and Wi-Fi wireless technology, as you will see in the
information
provided, and all the ports (three USB and Firewire) that are needed to
use
it with any accessory available to any computer user. Right now, with
great
success, we are testing devices such as Bluetooth bar code scanners,
wireless keyboards and earphones so that the user can leave the Portico
in
its case while traveling, in order to utilize such devices for ease of
use
and increased usefulness. Due to full functionality of this unit,
organizations thus far have been very impressed and see this as a
single
solution for some clientele who require funding for a note-taking
device,
desktop PC and/or a laptop computer. Also installed on the unit will be
suite of powerful software, consisting of OEM versions from leaders in
the
assistive software technology industry, which consist of applications
such
as scan-read, text to audio, screen readers, talking word processor,
talking dictionary, web browser with speech, talking calculator, screen
magnification, and talking checkbook. We are looking to add more and
more
in the future.
We soon also expect to offer an USB-connected, braille input keypad.
Further down the road, we anticipate offering a braille display
integrated
into the unit. Our main vision is to use the existing technologies of
our
mainstream products to create more affordable assistive technology
products.

The Portico units, as they would be shipped to the customers, will ship
with a screen that can be attached later converting it to a standard
laptop
computer. For those who are a source of funding for such technologies,
this
will be appealing because it may be issued without the screen to a
blind
client but, should the department decide to reissue this unit to a
low-vision client, or another client who would need a screen, it can be
done for little or no cost and without affecting the manufacturer
warranty
(the Portico does have a video port which would allow a monitor to be
connected). These are just a few things that would immediately be
available
for the Portico. We would appreciate any information possible in order
have your organization review the product in hopes that it may be
included
with the products which you promote, endorse, or offer to your clients,
helping us introduce this new solution to the blind and low-vision
markets.
It is a device to further enhance lives and  independence by offering a
means of equal access to technologies that others already have
available to
them. Please let me know if you have any questions as more will be
heard
about this product in the coming weeks. Thank you for your time.

Andrew Woytowich
CompSolution - Accessibility Division
(an Asus partner)

1249 Mall Drive