Re: jaws talking befor the introductry music plays

  • From: "Charles McLennan" <cmclennan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 22:44:35 -0600

Carliss,
This is the result of the Windows update. The below info is from the Kim =
Komando tip of the day; however, I have not figured out which update it =
is because they are all just numbers.
Chuck
cmclennan@xxxxxxxxxx

Q. I am the only user of my computer, and I have always booted directly =
to Windows XP. But recently, I have been getting the Welcome screen, =
where I have to click my icon. Why? And how do I get back to where I =
was?

=20

A. I addressed this issue originally on The Kim Komando Show on Feb. 21. =
This is a common and very irritating problem, so I wanted to provide =
more detail.

There are a couple things that could cause this. You could have created =
a second user. Or you could have gotten a virtual user from a Windows =
update. Either way, the problem is easy to fix.

Windows XP allows you to set up your system for multiple users. Its =
account system permits good security, because the users can't get into =
one another's files.

User accounts are set up through Control Panel.=20

To do that,=20

click Start

Control Panel.=20

Double-click User Accounts.=20

Click "Create a new account."

You can create either administrator or limited accounts. But when you =
have more than one user, you have to stop at the Welcome screen.

So, here's the question: When you get the Welcome screen, is yours the =
only icon? Or is there a second icon there, for an account that you set =
up? If a second icon appears, you can delete it.

To do that,=20

click Start

Control Panel.=20

Double-click User Accounts.

Click the account.=20

Select "Delete the account."=20

Follow the wizard.

If yours is the only icon on the Welcome screen, you may have picked up =
a virtual account, courtesy Windows update. When you run the Windows =
update scan, you get three groups of downloads: Critical Updates and =
Service Packs, Windows XP, and Driver Updates. The second group is often =
recommended but never critical.

Among that second group is an update entitled, "Microsoft .NET Framework =
version 1.1." This is intended for developers. Everyday users don't need =
it. If you download it, it will install a virtual user account called =
"ASP.Net."

You won't see this user at the Welcome screen. Only your icon will =
appear there. But it is in the system, and will force you to stop at the =
Welcome screen. You can find it the ASP.Net account by double-clicking =
User Accounts in Control Panel.

This thing is easy to dump. Just remove the Microsoft .NET Framework =
update from your computer.=20

To do that,=20

click Start

Control Panel.

Double-click Add or Remove Programs.=20

Find the update in the list=20

click Remove.

There is another way to solve this. Go to the Microsoft Web site at:

www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp

In the right panel, download TweakUI.exe. This is part of Microsoft's =
PowerToys.=20

Once installed, click Start.=20

TweakUI will be part of the Start menu. Click it.

With the window open, double-click Logon=20

then click Autologon.

Check the box next to "Log on automatically at system startup."=20

Click Apply

OK.=20

That will ensure that you override other accounts.