Re: jaws running on Linux

  • From: Jörgen Magnusson <jorgmag@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 08:54:05 +0200

Hi.
I am a scholar in history who works with many different fonts in order to
write different languages, most frequently ancient Egyptian. In order to
have control of what really comes up I have chosen to use an editing system
which is called latex and oriinaly from unix but common in linux environment
as well. In order to run it I use an linux emulation that is called Cygwin.
It works fine to run latex there and to create pdf-files with my books, but
many things are very difficult. It is often hard to track the focus and I
only rarely use for instance the editing program that is calle Emacs. To sum
up, for me it has been useful to run the emacs emulation but as already said
here, Jaws does not perform very well but can be used for specific tasks.
Earlier I also used a system that is called VMWare, where VM means virtual
machine. It is a way to let the computer act as if it is a network with a
windws computer as master over a linux or unix computer. What I described
above worked there as well though cygwin is my preferred choice. Maybe this
is a bit of light in the tunnel and might even be of some help for other
authors as well.
Jörgen
Name: Jörgen Magnusson
Address: Portalgatan 29:21