Re: jaws 7.1 and form fields

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 11:34:20 -0700

Hi Rosemarie,

It seems your experience has been pretty much like mine.  I'm afraid this is
a Jaws issue only to the extent that Jaws needs accurate page element
labeling, including form fields.  Wish it were otherwise, which would put it
within our power to figure out a Jaws-based solution.

As I said, this doesn't happen to me very often.  But where it does, my
navigational ability can be so flummoxed that I just can't use the site.
Unfortunately, this is the case with the Web site of my bank, Washington
Mutual.  The function for setting up automatic payments was poorly labeled
and unusable and I had to turn to telephone tech support to do it for me,
and they made a lot of mistakes that then others of them had to correct,
while I hassled with people at places like my ISP to refund to me half the
double payments the bank had been making until I figured it out.  So, with
no little difficulty,  I tracked down the guy in charge of Web site
development and accessibility issues, talked to him on the phone and emailed
with him, and he assured me the next edition of the site would work better.
I left it alone for months, and when I finally went back to try it out
again, found that I couldn't even get through the new security log-in
procedure where they want you to enter information they can refer to to make
sure you're not a hacker and a thief, but now *those* input fields are badly
labeled, which is critical, so I can't input the information as they
request.  If I'm determined, I'll have to contact the guy again and hope
that if he's no longer there, someone can help me find his successor.

Sorry to vent, but this can be frustrating.