Re: antivirus program

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 09:08:13 -0800

HI Ted,

I'm not sure if you have the same program that I do, from one thing you say.
By which I mean the current version of AVG Free.  Because you say it reminds
you to update.  With mine, the update is done automatically at the same time
every day.  I think you can reset that time, just as you can change the time
of the daily scan, but I haven't looked, because the process isn't an
inconvenience for me.  You don't have to to do anything.  AVG flashes  a
message notifying you that it's beginning an online update (if you have a
broadband connection like DSL and cable, you're always online, so you don't
have to actually be on the Web or anything at that moment; AVG will just go
look for its update files).  The only hassle I notice is that if you're
blind or very low vision and using a screen reader, you may be using the
keyboard to type and press Windows and screen readers commands during this
process, accidentally giving the order to cancel the update, either as it
begins or when it flashes a second notice telling you that the update is
successfully finished.  Each time, it shows what must be a little dialogue
window with a couple of buttons, like OK and cancel, which you can press by
accident if you're typing at the moment.  But it doesn't take long to
recognize the Windows chime sounds that alert you to these dialogues or ask
you if you really want to cancel the update at either point inn the process,
just because you were writing and spell checking an email message and hit
Cancel in the midst of it.  And if you're nervous thinking you have canceled
the update, you can always go to the AVG Control Center item in your task
tray, where it resides, launch it,press F9 to check for updates, and go
through it again, this time being careful to wait the few seconds it takes
to happen.  In fact, I was typing the end of that last sentence when I got
the Windows chimes you get when you try to type somewhere incorrectly, so I
just took my hands off for a second, pressed Insert B to read which dialogue
this was (it was the one to say the update had been successfully done) and
click the OK button to close the dialogue.

It's really not much trouble. And, of cores, you can do this manually by
launching the AVG control center anytime you wish.  Though you don't have to
keep doing it all day.  If AVG thinks one update daily is safe enough, I'm
willing to go with that and not worry that some new, lethal virus is going
to hit me three hours after the update unless I update constantly, hoping
they've written new code to defend against it in those three hours.

Hope this helps.