Re: Windows Explorer: selecting files sometimes fails to work

  • From: "Adam Daou" <adam.daou@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 19:00:30 -0500

Hi Chris,
Control + Spacebar will not work at all. To select multiple files or folders
with Jaws, you do the following:
1 Locate the first file or folder either by jumping to it using its first
letter repeatedly, or by arrowing down or up until you find it. If it's the
first one when you open the folder containing it, you can select it using the
spacebar alone.
2 In order to select other files, hold down the Control key (please do not
release it), and use your down or up arrow to locate the next one. When you
find it, press the spacebar to select it. Remember, you are still holding down
the Control key.
3 Continue with same method (holding down the Control key, arrowing, and
selecting with the Spacebar) until you get all your files selected.
4 When done, press Control + C to copy all the files to the clipboard. Jaws
will say "Copied selected text to clipboard".  Really strange here, we're
talking about files or folders, not text. Anyway, let's move on.
5 Open your target folder or create one on the fly where you want to paste what
you have copied.
6 Press Control + V, and wait for the end of the copy process. Be patient if
you deal with large files or folders.
7 At the end of copying, press Alt + V, then D key to obtain a detailed list.
Check the results, I mean the number of files copied.
8 Check some or all of them to make sure they still open.
9 Return to the source folder where you selected the files to be copied.
10 Deal with them: remove them if your copy is OK.
Warning Note: I never use Control + X or Move because anything can happen to
the computer, a power failure or freezing for instance. Instead, first I copy,
check, and if I'm happy, I delete.
Hope this helps.