Re: Virtualizing window

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 19:50:14 -0700

P.S.

Having followed Waleed's advice and gone and reviewed this nifty capability,
I thought why not paste it in here for the benefit of anyone who might be
curious about it:

(from
http://www.freedomscientific.com/fs_products/software_jaws80fea.asp#VirtualizedVirtualize)
Window and Virtualize Current Control

Virtualize Window

The Virtualize Window (CTRL+INSERT+W), a feature that has long been
available in JAWS since release 4.51, captures everything

in the current application
window. This even includes the static text that appears in the window, so
that you can avoid trying to recall something to

type into a message in order
to communicate it to others such as support staff. This is a great way to
capture error codes and dialog messages since the

text can easily be copied into
an e-mail message.

For a quick example to see how this works, try the following:

list of 4 items
1. Press INSERT+F4. The Quit JAWS dialog box appears.
2. Next, press CTRL+INSERT+W. The dialog box title, message, and command
buttons appears in the virtual viewer, for example:
"Quit JAWS
Are you sure you want to quit JAWS? Press Enter to quit now, or Escape to
cancel.
OK Cancel"
3. To select and copy the contents of the virtual viewer, press CTRL+A then
CTRL+C.
4. You can now open your e-mail application and paste (CTRL+V) the contents
of the virtual viewer into your e-mail message.
list end

Based on customer requests, Freedom Scientific has taken this a step further
by virtualizing the contents of a specific list,

control, combo box, or screen
area. This is known as the Virtualize Current Control.

Virtualize Current Control

In some cases, such as lists, you might want to only virtualize the current
control rather than the entire window. Starting

with JAWS 8.0, just add the
SHIFT Key to the Virtualize Window command. Therefore, pressing
CTRL+SHIFT+INSERT+W results in getting only the text located

within the current control.

For a quick example to see how this works, try the following:

list of 5 items
1. Open Windows Explorer (WINDOWS Key+E).
2. Press TAB to navigate to the list of files.
3. Press CTRL+SHIFT+INSERT+W. Only the file list appears in the virtual
viewer.
4. To select and copy the contents of the virtual viewer, press CTRL+A then
CTRL+C.
5. You can now open your e-mail application and paste (CTRL+V) the contents
of the virtual viewer into your e-mail message.
list end

Return to list of features