RE: Saving Battery Power on Lapton

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 14:10:08 -0400

In addition to Peter's good tips I'd add that you should turn off the
wifi or bluetooth radios if you aren't using them.

It helps to understand  that the laptop attempts to estimate how much
power is left in a battery charge, and it will automatically shutdown
the pc when it thinks it's almost there (that's the default power scheme
behavior).

Determining how much charge is left is difficult, and changes as the
battery ages.  From time-to-time you need to recalibrate the laptop's
ability to gauge the state of the battery; if you don't do this, it's
likely to tell you your battery has a lot less charge left than it
actually does, and thus, shut it down before it's out of power.

To recalibrate a laptop to the current state of the battery you need to
switch to a power scheme that disables all shutoff timers.  Unplug the
laptop from the a/c, and let it run until it quits running (until it
exausts the battery).  If you get warnings about "5 minutes left" ...
then you haven't switched to a power scheme with no shutoff timers.

When the battery is truely exausted, recharge it and switch the pc back
to your normal power scheme.

After you do all this, you should see an increase in the reported time
of a battery charge.

Batteries do age however, and this is irregardless of how many
charge/discharge cycles they experience (newer lithium batteries that
is).  Don't be surprised if after 2 years you find your battery only
gives you half the operating time that it did when it was new.

Batteries are relatively cheap if you shop around, and they do come in
different sizes if you need especially long run times.

If your buying a new laptop,  choose an Intel chipset over an AMD, as
the Intel mobile technology is much more power efficient than AMD's.
Also, choose slower laptops with smaller screens and less resolution.

hth,

Chip

Chip Orange
Database Administrator