RE: Rolling Mandatory Upgrades - Phase 2 starting soon

  • From: "Jim Grimsby Jr." <jimgrims@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 02:00:10 -0700

oh so you are the definitive answer on what everyone on this lists knows?
do you know how many people on this list every year ask about using windows
live windows messenger and msn messenger?  I don't because I lost count.
providing such information and details of what one might need to do for use
with jaws is what this list is for.  if you do not find the information
useful ser delete it.  however jaws and  the active versions of messenger
that work with it are very much on topic for this list.  of course if I am
in error I am sure the list owner will inform me of same.  unless he has
turned it over to you ser and did not inform any one that person is not you!

Jim Grimsby Jr.

skype: Jim.grimsby

I say what I mean! I mean what I say!

Author: Inside Windows Live Messenger:

Image removed by sender. posted by Rick

Hi everyone, Rick here again.  As you know, we are in the middle of a
multi-phase rolling upgrade of the Messenger network that started last
Wednesday, September 12.  I wanted to give you an update on where we are in
the process and what's coming next.

The first phase of the Mandatory Security Upgrades focused on the Windows XP
operation system and getting the rest of the XP user base onto Windows Live
Messenger 8.1.  Focusing on just XP has allowed our customer support teams
to focus on Windows XP issues and it also reduced some of the network load
created by the upgrades.  We have seen some issues in these upgrades that we
are trying to address in the HYPERLINK
"http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=micro
soft.public.windows.live.messenger" \nnewsgroups and through customer
support.  Your postings to the newsgroups and this blog have been very
helpful in directing our support efforts to those areas that are preventing
usage of the 8.1  client.  Thank you for your postings, and please continue
to let us know what kind of issues you are seeing  with 8.1 on XP and Vista.

In the second phase, we are turning on the Mandatory Security Upgrades for
Windows 2000, Windows 98, Windows 98 SE, and Windows ME.  As noted in the
HYPERLINK
"http://messengersays.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!5B410F7FD930829E!28949.entry";
security bulletin, we have built a new version of MSN Messenger 7.0, build
number 7.0.0820, that will run on Windows 2000.   This version of MSN
Messenger has also been tested for Windows 98, Windows 98 SE, and Windows
ME.  Users should expect these upgrades to start soon.

To recap, the set of Messenger clients that do not have the webcam security
vulnerability are:

*       Windows Live Messenger 8.1  (for XP and Vista)
*       MSN Messenger 7.0.0820 (for Windows 2000 and Windows 98, SE, ME)
*       Windows Messenger – all versions (XP only)
*       MSN Messenger 5.0 for Windows 95.
*       Microsoft Messenger for Macintosh (all versions)

and ... Windows Live Messenger 8.5 which many of you are using in beta form.

The third phase of the upgrades will focus on a small number of remaining
clients that exhibit the webcam vulnerability.  We're still working out the
time line for this third phase, and we will keep you posted about when you
can expect to see that upgrade roll out.

Again, please continue to send us your feedback.

Rick

----

If you have a comment on this post HYPERLINK
"http://messengersays.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!5B410F7FD930829E!25468.entry";
please comment! For other questions/concerns/discussion
topics/rants/raves/etc - please head over to the HYPERLINK
"http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=micro
soft.public.windows.live.messenger"Windows Live Messenger Newsgroup.Image
removed by sender.Image removed by sender.

HYPERLINK
"http://MessengerSays.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!5B410F7FD930829E!29791.entry";
View article...

Checked by AVG Free Edition.