RE: Restoring JAWS Without Sighted Assistance After Loss of Speech

  • From: "PatWJL" <PatWJL@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 11:32:04 -0500

There is another way to "kill" JAWS in a particularly difficult situation. I
created a shortcut that invokes the XP system utility "taskkill" that
forcefully removes a running program. You can create a desktop shortcut with
the following target:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskkill.exe /f /im jfw.exe

I named the shortcut "Kill JAWS" and assigned it to the CTRL ALT K key
combination. I am connected all day to either of two remote XP installations
at work through Windows terminal services and often have a crash. This key
combination is, at least for me, a good way to kill the running JAWS
program. The taskkill utility is provided as part of XP, but I can't speak
for other Windows versions.

HTH,
Pat