RE: Problem with Word document

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 14:56:33 -0400

When you use the up/down arrow keys jaws reads the entire line; when you
use some combination involving the left/right arrow keys, jaws will
either read the character you land on or the word, depending on what
you've used, but not the entire line; this may be why you're not hearing
the prompt of "sir name" as you move to the right.

I think it's very difficult for someone (blind or not) to try and "fill
out" a word document that's not been designed as a word "form", so don't
feel bad; it's of course much harder if you are blind. =20

You might ask whoever provided you this document if they could convert
it for you into a Word "form"; if they do that, and they need some
advice on making it accessible, tell them to be sure to specify a help
text for each field which is an accurate prompt for the information to
be entered into that field.

I did convert such a poorly constructed document for the state office of
the Florida Division of Blind Services and returned it to them just to
get my point across to them that it could be done, and made to be much
more accessible to their potential blind clients and their blind
employees.  I don't know if it ever convinced them to begin converting
their other forms or not as I never heard back from them, although I did
hear they had begun to use my converted form, at least internally.

Hth,

Chip

=20