Off topic, but important.

  • From: "Ken Hawk" <khawk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "jf w list" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 09:55:00 -0400

May 16, 2005
just received specific information regarding the Administration's plan to
restructure the Rehabilitation Services Administration

(RSA). Although we cannot name our source, the information originated from
within the Department of Education. The restructuring plans for RSA include

eliminating the blind and visually impaired division, eliminating the RSA
regional offices, as well as eliminating the Deafness and Communicative
Disorders

Branch.

The implications of this proposal are devastating for the disability community,
especially for people who are blind and visually impaired. In addition,

the plan has far-reaching detrimental implications for the Randolph-Sheppard
vending program.

Action:

We need to spread the word far and wide that the current proposal to
restructure RSA is unacceptable.

Our message is clear: we unequivocally oppose the plans to restructure RSA
which include eliminating the blind and visually impaired division, eliminating

the RSA regional offices, and eliminating the Deafness and Communicative
Disorders Branch. As members of the blind community and citizens of United
States,

we will not tolerate the complete obliteration of programs and services that
increase our independence, self- sufficiency and quality of life. Specialized

VR services for people who are blind and visually impaired assist us in
obtaining educational, prevocational and vocational training. These
blindness-specific

skills are imperative for the acquisition and retention of employment enabling
us to support ourselves and our families.

1. Please write and/or fax letters to Margaret Spellings, Secretary of
Education, the address below or fax letters to (202) 401-0596.

The Honorable Margaret Spellings

400 Maryland Avenue, S.W., Room 7W301

Washington, DC 20202

Dear Madam Secretary,  (...)

2. Please contact members of Congress and inform your legislators about the
negative impact of the plan to restructure RSA, which includes eliminating the

blindness and visually impaired division. You can reach your Senators through
the Senate switchboard at (202) 224-3121 and your Representatives through

the House switchboard at (202) 225-3121.

Note: the Workforce Investment Act reauthorization bill, HR 27, which includes
VR legislation, is scheduled to be marked up in the Senate Health, Education,

Labor and Pensions (HELP) Committee this week on Wednesday May 18, 2005.  It
may be particularly beneficial to inform Senators on this committee about

the RSA restructuring plan. The help committee roster is attached in word
format.

Another way to express opposition and have your voices heard with regard to
these issues is to attend the May 26th rally in Washington D.C. to save VR and

RSA.

Krista Merritt, Policy Analyst

American Council of the Blind

1155 15th St., N.W., # 1004