Re: My Documents & Properties Menu

  • From: "Tom Lange" <trlange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 22:48:23 -0700

Hi Nancy,
You wrote:

  I am using Jaws 8 with Windows XP on this computer.  I have My Documents in
the Start menu.

  I want to access the properties menu for My Documents.

  I know how to do that if it were on my Desktop but it's not there.

  Can anyone tell me how to find My Documents in another location where I can
then use Jaws key strokes to access the properties menu?

  You can get to the My Documents folder by going into My Computer, drive c,
then navigating to the documents and settings folder.  Windows XP stores a set
of subfolders there for every user account on your system. Thus, if your user
account name is Nancy, you can go to

  c:\documents and settings\nancy

  and when that subfolder is open, navigate to the my documents subfolder. Once
you've found it, you can then access its properties by going into the File menu
and selecting properties, or simply pressing alt+enter when the my documents
folder is selected.

  Further, you can restore the my documents folder icon to the desktop by doing
the following:
  1. Press windows+m to get to the desktop.
  2. Press f5 to make sure nothing is selected.
  3. Press alt+enter to bring up Display properties.
  4. Press ctrl+tab to get to the Desktop tab.
  5. Press the tab key until you get to the Customize Desktop button and press
enter.
  6.  You'll see a number of typical desktop icons there which will be either
checked or unchecked. When you locate the my documents checkbox, press the
space bar to check it, then tab to OK and press enter.
  7. Finally, tab to Ok and press enter to close Desktop properties.  My
documents should now be back on your desktop where it belongs.

  Hope this helps.

  Tom