Re: Microsoft's Anti-Spyware program (formerly called Giant)

  • From: "Bill Powers" <powersradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:04:44 -0800

Gene,

According to an article I was reading the other night the best combination
of spyware is a combination of Microsoft's Antispyware and CounterSpy. But
CounterSpy has a 15-day trial period then it's $20 per license, and I have
not had time to test yet if it is JAWS-friendly. It works well with Magic
though.

I was using Webroot's Spy Sweeper, which I found highly effective, but when
I installed the trial of CounterSpy, it found a piece of spyware that must
have been in my computer for some time, something called "brutus.1b.exe."
Amazingly, upon its removal, my computer's been running faster than it has
in a good while. It might be worth looking into for others who can test its
JAWS-friendliness better than I would be qualified to do.

Bill Powers