Re: LAPTOPS

  • From: "Steve" <k8sp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 14:50:58 -0500

Jesse,

Laptops vary wildly in keyboard layouts.  I would hesitate to make a specific
recommendation, because I don't know your needs in terms of performance,
mobility, display etc.

I will say that my Averatec 3250 is a great value for the money.  I chose it
because it is somewhat smaller and lighter than the 15-inch 7-pound variety.
It is about 11 inches wide, weighs 4.5 pounds.  One drawback is that its
battery is smaller, so the run-time between charges is about 3 hours.

Having said that, it does have some nice advantages.  My particular model has
built-in 802.11G wireless, a DVD-RW, and 80 gb hard-drive.  As a Jaws user, I
appreciate the fact that it has an insert key on the keyboard.  While I still
use the laptop layout because of the need to use jaws key with 8 for
left-mousing, the insert key is still honored so I can use insert-v for
verbosity settings which is easier than caps loc-v.  The other thing about
this laptop is that it has a function key which modifies the function of
various keys.  Examples: func/up-arrow is page-up; fund/right arrow is end;
func and f3 turns the display off or on.  Turning the display off does prolong
battery life.

Hope this helps.

Steve