Re: Jaws not reading?

  • From: "Grant Hardy" <grant_r_hardy@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 19:02:15 -0700

I am using jaws6.20, and it will not read the all program's menu.

Go into Start Menu > Settings > Control Panel > Taskbar And Start Menu. Under the Start Menu tab, select Classic Start menu (in the first group of radio buttons) and press enter to close the dialog. JAWS doesn't always work correctly with the Windows XP default start menu, especially if there are a lot of items in it. For a complete list of recommended settings for JAWS under Windows XP, visit this link:
http://www.jfwlite.com/messages/FS%20Recommended%20Settings%20for%20Windows%20XP.txt

Also, when I do windows key M, to get to the desktop, and tab to taskbar,
jaws says, "zero percent."

This is probably due to another application that you have running. Use your left and right arrows while focussed on the taskbar (or alt+tab around) to see if you have any applications that might be causing this extra speech. Either JAWS is reading you a progress bar, or it is part of an application's title on the taskbar. Does JAWS read "0%" in the message voice?

Grant