Re: Jaws and Laptop

  • From: "john r vaughn" <jrvaughn44@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 08:48:09 -0500

Andy, you should be able to run the same version of jaws on the laptop as
your desktop.  I know that you can run jaws on up to three computers (home,
laptop and work)  so long as you are the only jaws user using the computer.
but if you use the smaller laptop keyboard without a numeric key pad or
external keyboard, you will either have to buy an external  numeric keypad
or else do like most of us laptop users, change the keyboard setting for
jaws (see jaws help system) and learn the jaws laptop keyboard commands
(also see jaws help system).
Most if not all major laptops have multi channel sound cards and so hearing
jaws should not be a problem.   I am currently using a 4 pound sonny PCG
V505 series laptop with a centrino mobil Intel chip and 1 gig of RAM and
jaws 6 as my traveling computer.  This computer also has a wireless network
card which I recommend you get built in as so many places you will go now or
in the future have wireless networks available.  both of my kids have
wireless networks in their homes and so when I go to see them, I can access
their wireless network to use my computer.  I also have a wireless network
at home so I can take my little sony anywhere in the house and sit and work
on the computer.
I also have a dell 8500 laptop that I use as my  desktop unit and use an
external key board with this computer.

As you look at laptops, if you are not going to use an external keypad and
instead use the jaws laptop commands, pay attention to where the insert key
and other navigation keys are located.  Laptop keyboards are not standard.
That said, I have use  laptops made by most major companies or I have worked
with students who have had many different types of laptops, and so have
learned that what is convenient for one is not convenient for another.  but
since the insert key and or the caps lock key can be used with the jaws
keyboard layout, at least think about how you would do an insert plus letter
T command or other commands where you need to use the insert key.
one other final consideration.  some smaller laptops like my sony does not
have a home or end key.  these keys are infact the left or right arrow held
down in conjunction with the "fn" key found on most laptops.  I have gotten
used to this little quirk and so when I want to select all text from the
current location in a document to the end of the document, I have to hold
down with my left hand, the shift, control and FN key and with my right
hand, press the right arrow.
any way laptops are a nice way to go as they give you mobility but yet many
are so powerful that with a keyboard attached, they are a nice desk top
replacement.
if you need any other help on your project of buying a new laptop, do not
hesitate to write me privately at
jrvaughn44@xxxxxxxxxxx

John in sunny and warm Florida