RE: JAWS & Sound Cards

  • From: "jim grimsby" <jimgrims@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 13:37:24 -0700

Well there are sound cards that have trouble with software speech.  For
example you will have trouble with a crystal sound card maid about five
years ago running on windows 98.  the thing to think about is one are
you using the latest drivers.
For example some early version of live ware for the sb live sound cards
have issues with software speech.  2.  is your system fast enough to run
software speech.  You should be running at least a 300 mhz system for
software speech unless it is dectalk witch will run on a 50 mhz 486 on
windows 95.   key note gold will also support this configuration.  Most
other synthasizers need at least a 300 mhz system to run with out
problems.
3. what other things are trying to use the sound card and can it handel
it.
Many sound cards now use software multy instance suport.  This means in
a nut shell more then one program can address the sound card at the same
time threw its driver. A good example of this is the sb 16 awe 32 and 64
cards.  This is grait and this is wonderful.  How ever it takes it toal
on the speed of your system if you are using a card that supports this
in this manor.  You are always going to get better resolts with a 2
sound card system one for the speech and one for the sounds.  If you are
using a sapi 4 or five synthasizer like ibm vea voice out loud then you
can address the sound card threw the speech control panel.  If you are
using elaquence then you will have to define what card you want the
elaquence on in the jfw.ini file.  If you are using dectalk access 32
then you are stuck with what ever card gets it first.  Unless some one
knows a trick for this I do not.  So to rap  it all up yes some cards
work better then other and it depends on the serkenstances.  Note if you
have a card witch is not fully windows sound compatable like the rock
well  smodem or the syber a sound modem combo you are not going to get
software speech.  And for example if you are using the keynote gold it
will not function on a ibm mwave sound card.  It crashes every time with
that card.  Also you will find cards like the thounder card sound
blaster pro and the early sound master cards will not work.   Well that
is the storry on sound cards for what it is worth