RE: Is readability of PDF files [by JAWS] affected by the document being tagged

  • From: "David Weddle" <ddweddle@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 08:20:07 -0700

Yes PDF files are problematic at times.  I don't know about the Tagged
option, but as I understand it there is a Secure option which if turned
on by the creator of the PDF file, makes the file unreadable by JAWS.
In my job at the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation
I am seeing this more and more with memoes sent by our headquarters
office in Sacramento which carry the signature of the agency Ssecretary,
division Director, or the like.  The explanation from Sacramento is that
they don't want any receiver to change the memo in any way or copy the
signature to another piece of correspondence.  But all it does for me is
to prevent me from reading it in which case I have to print and scan it
or have someone read it to me, like in the old days.  I hope that FS can
'crack the nut' of better access to reading PDF files sometime in the
not too distant future.

Take care...
Dave Weddle