Re: Installation set up question

  • From: Chris Skarstad <toonhead@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 13:01:00 -0600

At 10:08 AM 12/18/2007, you wrote:

Yes, you should have removed the CD before rebooting. I suspect that your computer is trying to find an operating system on that CD from which to boot up, so just pop it out and everything should work all right.

Actually this is incorrect.
The operating system you're installing JAWS on, be it XP or Vista or any other supported OS is on the computer, it is not on the JAWS 9.0 CD
The only things on the JAWS CD are JAWS, and the training materials from FS.
So if you reboot the computer and there is no JAWS 9.0 CD in the drive, you are likely to get an error message, saying that no CD is present to install JAWS. Remember, you're installing from the CD and if no CD is there, well you get the idea. The only time your JAWS CD is not needed is if you install the version available on the FS website. and in some cases, depending on what your situation is, especially during a clean install, you may need to insert your authorization CD first. But in a case like this, all you need to do is let the computer reboot and after a bit in which you'll probably hear some unusual clicking noises, the instalation will start. You may also hear a message telling you this but I haven't installed from the CD in a while so I can't say. But in the downloadable version, you can read the status line and you can determine where you are in the install process.
Hope this helps.