Re: Install of MSN Messenger 5 causing JAWS problems

  • From: "Greg Epley" <gregepley@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 13:10:41 -0500

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the note on Windows Messenger.  I may look back into using that.
The situation is that I'd like to use an instant messenger at this point,
tried Yahoo, which my sighted wife is using with some family members and
friends, just to see how accessible Yahoo was.  Then heard good things about
both MSN Messenger 5 and AIM.  I don't use a Hotmail account any longer and
currently have Windows Messenger uninstalled, so would need to look into
reinstalling it again, which I know how to do.  Yes I noticed after getting
MSN Messenger up that it seemed the same as Windows Messenger, but only
tried it because I'd heard good things about it.  Boy did it do a number on
my system though.

Anyway, this is also to let you know that a System Restore back to a
checkpoint just prior to installing MSN Messenger 5 seems to have done the
trick.  I was able to run JAWS 5 not as a service and get my SAPI 4 synth
detected and pointed back to, and JAWS 5 and 4.51 both seem to be doing fine
as of this writing, and I have done a number of tasks just to check it out.
Thanks a bunch for that idea; I've done restores in the past that didn't
help but in this case it seems to have worked great!
-Greg Epley