Google Groups: A WebSite Subscription Annoyance

  • From: "Kane & Danika Brolin" <decorium@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 10:45:38 -0500

As many of you probably know, more and more Web sites want us to
subscribe--either with or without money--so we can have access to meaningful
content from those sites.  Google Groups is one example of a site that makes
one subscribe before being able to post a new message to a particular
newsgroup.
On several recent occasions, I've run into the situation where this kind of
registration page enables an "anti-robotic" feature:  Before allowing me to
subscribe, the site will ask me to type manually a string of specific
characters into an edit box to prove that I'm not just an automated system
trying to flood that site or newsgroup with SPAM.  The characters I'm supposed
to emulate are contained in an image file that JFW doesn't read!

Fortunately, I am still an Optacon user.  So what I have tried to do sometimes
is to print the subscription page and to decipher the characters in this image
just using the Optacon.  But since these alphanumeric symbols sometimes aren't
written in exactly the same type font or style as "normal" letters on a page,
often I misinterpret them anyway.

Can anything be done to help this?  Is there any way to make JFW recognize the
contents image file?

Regards,

-Kane