Fw: jaws and the international phonetic alphabet

  • From: "Patricia" <bcsarah.fan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "JAWS users list" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 16:23:23 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: Patricia
To: JAWS users list
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2008 11:04 AM
Subject: jaws and the international phonetic alphabet

has anyone ever done any sort of linguistics courses having to use IPA with
jaws? is there a way to do it?

I'm taking a French phonetics course and I am having a lot of trouble with it.
because it uses IPA, the international phonetic alphabetic, there are all these
symbols that jaws doesn't see properly, many of which when you do a say all
sound like they're question marks in the middle of words, but when you walk
through them with your arrows they show up as nothing. I have tried to set my
verbosity to all graphichs to see if I could spot them and get someone to help
me label themm but I haven't been able to get that to work. and then i can't
remember how to envoke the ancy characters as I was also thinking that might
work. does anyone have any suggestions/advice?

Patricia