Re: Firefox screen reader emulator?

  • From: "Adam Daou" <adam.daou@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 10:17:58 -0400

Hi Nermin ,
Thanks for the link. Very interesting! I think this emulator, called Fangs,
will help understand why some web pages are not accessible, plus it provides a
textual representation of the screen reader output. One can copy and paste the
reformatted contents for further analysis. Fangs works with Mozilla Firefox
browser in XP and Linux. I'll try Fangs with Linux later. After installation in
XP, one can press control L in Firefox, type an address, and press the
application key followed by f  key twice and Enter to launch Fangs. A new
window will appear showing:

A Reload button
A Screen reader output tab where navigation is done with basic Windows
keystrokes and Jaws cursor.
A Headings list tab, text only, accessible with the Jaws left click key..
A Links list, text only, accessible with the Jaws left click key.

This beta version will certainly help web designers understand what screen
readers do, and hopefully review the accessibility of their pages.

I'll be happy to give more details on Firefox and Fangs installation. You can
contact me off list if needed.
Adam