Re: FileMaker Pro and Jaws

  • From: Robert J Smith <rsmith247@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 07:44:43 -0400

Hi Ruth.  Unfortunately I have no good things to say about this package. I
tried to use it about 11 years ago with JAWS and it was totally
unfunctional, especially when I got into a design situation.  JAWS read
nothing and went nowhere on the screen.  I had heard from Freedom that
Filemaker Pro was not designed as a standard Windows application so JAWS
pretty much didn't know what to do with it.  I had heard that it was
either designed for IBM or Apple, can't remember which.

Robert Smith

Computer Sciences Corporation
Registered Office: 3170 Fairview Park Drive, Falls Church, Virginia 22042,
USA
Registered in Nevada, USA No: C-489-59

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
delivery.
purpose.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ruth Lazzari" <Ruth.Lazzari@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: jfw-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
07/16/2008 11:48 AM
Please respond to
jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
FileMaker Pro and Jaws

Hi all,

I apologize if this question is a little too broad for this list.  I am
working with a special education teacher (a Jaws user) who is required to
use Filemaker runtime database forms and have confirmed, with not only
Freedom but all the major screen-reader programs, that it is pretty much
uncustomizable or scriptable.

I am trying to garner more information regarding Filemaker and it's past
and current lack of accessibility with screen-readers. Yet, apparently,
the latest version of Filemaker Pro allows a web design that could perhaps
be usable with Jaws.  A couple of questions:

a) Has anyone out there actually successfully used a program created in
the latest Filemaker version? Utilizing the new web-publishing
capabilities or not?

Filemaker's web page that discusses how 508 compliant they are, yet on the
same page it states "there are still issues with screenreaders".  My
general e-mails have never been acknowledged.

I would appreciate any feedback, experience, or history with the above.
Thanks a lot!

Ruth Lazzari